The Nasdaq CSD Group operates regional central securities depositories in the Baltics and Iceland, with business presence in Estonia, Iceland, Latvia, and Lithuania.
Nasdaq CSD provides post-trade infrastructure and a wide range of securities services for Baltic and Icelandic market participants. The CSD is a fundamental element in the financial markets, settling transactions in shares and other securities issued by companies and governments.
Nasdaq CSD was established through the merger of the Estonian, Latvian, and Lithuanian central securities depositories in 2017 in order to leverage service offering in the changing CSD landscape in Europe.
To further offering Nasdaq CSD Iceland merged with Nasdaq CSD in May 2020 creating a bigger and more robust CSD.
Nasdaq CSD SE (Societas Europaea) is licensed under the European CSDR and supervised by the respective regulatory institutions. The depository is powered by straight-through processing technology connected to the pan-European T2S platform.
Nasdaq CSD acts as:
- a CSD authorized by the Latvian Financial and Capital Market Commission to provide CSD services in Latvia under CSDR, and in Estonia, Iceland and Lithuania via its Estonian, Icelandic and Lithuanian branches operating under supervision by local regulatory authorities also acting as the registrar of the Estonian Central Register of Securities via its Estonian branch;
- the operator of the Estonian securities settlement system, which is governed by Estonian law and notified to the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) in accordance with the Settlement Finality Directive;
- the operator of the Icelandic securities settlement system, which is governed by Icelandic law and notified to ESMA in accordance with the Settlement Finality Directive; and
- the operator of the Latvian securities settlement system, which is governed by Latvian law and notified to ESMA in accordance with the Settlement Finality Directive; and
- the operator of the Lithuanian securities settlement system, which is governed by Lithuanian law and notified to ESMA in accordance with the Settlement Finality Directive.
Nasdaq CSD is a part of the Nasdaq Group. Nasdaq, Inc., the ultimate parent, provides trade and post-trade services in more than 50 countries.